Friday, January 24, 2014

Magazine Cover Designs

Purpose:

To use knowledge and tools of Photoshop, along with conceptual design to create a magazine cover for a fictitious magazine.

Reflection:
When I was creating my magazine cover, the most important concept that I learned was that although a magazine cover is two-dimensional, creating three-dimensional elements will make it pop. I achieved this by making the background black and white and having my body in color. I placed the myself over the title, which created a three-dimensional effect that would not have been there had I not created different layers. Another important concept is coloring the text to match and complement the image. For example, I used the eyedropper tool to pick out the shade of pink from my dress that I thought was the right tone and hue. The contrast between the black and white background and the bright pink font is pleasing to the eye. The last concept I learned was to make sure to emphasize the correct pieces on your title. By making certain text, such as “trend report” and “matte” pink, the readers eyes are drawn to the text that is considered most important.
All three of these concepts are crucial for me in the future because I want to work in magazine publishing. I feel like these pieces will help me stand out from the other students next year in college.
Based on the necessary criteria, I give myself a 3.5-4 out of 4 because of my attention to detail and creativity. My feature stories are catchy and make the reader want to buy the magazine to see what is inside. I think that my title is sophisticated and matches the theme of my magazine which is high-fashion. I spent at least six hours outside of school working on my magazine. I would create a cover and then think of new ideas and combine those with my old cover, eventually ending up with this cover that I love. I think it is this process and attention to detail that makes me deserve the rating of a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment