Friday, January 24, 2014

Logo Designs



Purpose:
To understand the process of logo design;
To design a clear and effective logo for the chosen company scenario

Reflection:
The name of our company is “Written in Black”. We produce fashion graphic tees that are white with black ink. The name “Written in Black” was derived from the idea that all of our shirts will be made with black ink, otherwise known as written in black. Our company is geared toward teenage girls and young women who are looking for a simple statement piece for their wardrobe.
Before I started designing my logo, I made sure that I was clear what the message is that I’m trying to portray through my logo. My business represents fashionable youth, so I wanted to keep it light and fresh. It also had to be girly, but in a modern, sophisticated, young way. After I had determined what my brand embodies, I was able to move onto the second step which is the principles of effective logo design. There are five important principles that I had to keep in mind. The first is to keep it simple, but unique! The simple font and feather ensure that this logo is indeed very simple! The second principle is closely related to the previous one: memorable. A memorable logo is achieved by creating a simple one, which I feel I have achieved. If there is too much going on in the logo, customers won’t be able to remember it. The third principle is timeless. This design that Libby and I created is timeless because it is a font and object that is common and everyday. Another principle to keep in mind is versatility. This logo that I created is visible and recognizable at any size.
Through this process of logo design I have learned several things that are important for my future work. One of these is to make sure the design embodies what your company is trying to achieve. If a law firm is designing a logo, they would want something sharp and stern to portray that they are not to be messed with. On the other hand, if a daycare center is creating a logo, they should go for something that is happy and friendly, inviting people to bring their children their. This connects with the second important concept which is the importance of color. When people see color they have a certain feeling. Back to my previous examples, a law firm would be best to stick with a grey scale color scheme with maybe a hint of red. Dark colors such as black and grey are powerful and strong, and the red is also a symbol of intensity and strength. The daycare would be best off using bright colors to portray happiness. If you switched the color scheme with the two companies, the logo would be completely off. The last important thing I learned is to keep it simple.    If you do not have a simple design, people will not remember it.
After reviewing the criteria and our final design,  I give our design a 3.5-4. To start with, we began by brainstorming ideas on paper for names and logos. We came up with around 10 different name ideas and decided on the one “Written in Black.”  We then brainstormed again to think of an idea for a logo that matched our name. After several drafts and designs, we finally came up with the final product of the feather writing our brand name, portraying something being written in black. We strived to go above and beyond the expectations on this project, and I think that we succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment